Sunday, April 19, 2009

Blue 1980s Abstract Birthday Cake






So you know how whenever I make a cake it looks like it's for an 8 year old child? This cake is for a 28 year old man. Am I getting a bit better with the age-appropriate thing?? Of course I personally would love it if someone gave me a cake with a giant kawaii cat face or hilarious little panda bear cupcakes etc etc... and I'm 32... !!

My beautiful friend ShiShi requested a birthday cake for her man Scott's bday-- chocolate cake with yummy chocolate hazelnut filling, covered in fondant, with some sort of blue theme-- so I went with a kind of 1980s Max Headroom graphical vibe! Even though my instinct was to turn it into a blue whale face, heehee! Or a Pac Man ghost. I guess I'm on some weird 1980s nostalgia vibe lately... The top pic is the cake before it was covered in fondant. A cool trick to frosting a cake without getting buttercream all over your cake board is to tuck pieces of wax paper or parchment paper under your cake (which you can see in the pic), frost, then gently pull out the paper once you've frosted it and voila! Clean board! Ah, the little tricks that can help so much.

The pics of the cake after it's been sliced are from ShiShi!

Back to baking now!
xo

4 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

nice cake. I love the blue 1980's look :)

gyoza*girl said...

AWE-SUM! go blue cake go! :)

apparentlyjessy said...

Thanks for the hot tip on the baking paper and frosting! What a great idea! The cake looks very smart!

Coco Cake Land said...

20 MINUTES INTO THE FUTURE! (m-m-m-mmax headroom)