Tuesday, June 30, 2009

60th Birthday Cake: Day Of The Dead!





Inside this pristinely white and smooth covered cake is a very yummy dark chocolate cake with a hint of spicy cinnamon, filled with dark chocolate ganache and chocolate buttercream... oh, I wish I could see the inside again. It's like you're a little house builder, creating the structure first, filling it all in, making it sound. Then covering it with fancy tile or wallpaper. But underneath there's a nice little foundation. A delicious little foundation even, that took womanpower to create. That's one of the cool things about cakes!

For Trixie's mom's 60th birthday, they were celebrating at a Mexican restaurant, and also celebrating memories of their recent trip to Mexico together. So I made the Coco Cake version of a Day Of The Dead cake! Bright colours, lots of little flowers, rosettes and leaves, and a cute little skull. Not very scary,eh? I didn't want to scare myself...

Happy 60th Birthday Trixie's mom!!!

7 comments:

Cat J B said...

Wow, you have inspired me no end! I've just done a cupcake decorating class, but I think I'll get more inspiration from your wonderful creations! Gotta read back thru all your posts now, make sure I don't miss a thing...!

Ashley Brooke said...

this is too cute! I like that it's not as "scary" as some, haha!

great job as usual :)

-ashley

Snooky doodle said...

nice cake if it wasn t for the skull :)although it s cute in its own way :)

apparentlyjessy said...

I adore this cake! Its really lovely!

Coco Cake Land said...

--cat, thanks so much!

--ashley-- it's hard for me to make stuff that's actually scary! halloween stuff always has a cute "edge" to it too. oh boy...

--thanks natalie, haha! :)

--thank you jessy!! :)

Stacy said...

It's beautiful! I love it.

MizzJ said...

Hahah what a happy little skull