Monday, January 25, 2010

Dun Dun... Dun Dun...

Dun Dun... Dun Dun...








JAWS!!! AGHHHHH!!!!

Seriously though. Jaws was my total absolute nightmare when I was a kid. I was terrified of Jaws. I couldn't even properly do my swimming lessons at Canada Games Pool because I was so scared of opening my eyes under water. Is that why it took me four times to pass "Maroon"? Aggh. I am still scared of Jaws. Children are impressionable, and when you throw in a bonkers imagination things can get scary. I never even saw the movie when I was a kid. I happened to come across the BOOK at my mom's best friend Diana's house one day and I started reading it. And of course the imagery of the woman swimming and that huge terrifying beast coming straight at her to bite off her torso... ugh. And the omnipresent theme music... what a score. WHAT an amazing musical score.

On a more DELICIOUS note, please enjoy these pictures of the JAWS themed cake I made for the wonderful Carmen, for her partner Adam's 40th birthday! Jaws is his favorite film. The cake was dark chocolate with chocolate ganache and chocolate buttercream. I was really happy with how the shark itself came out-- as I was building him I was all worried it would turn out too cartoony and cutesy. But add some sharp teeth, some blood and some fondant severed limbs... No problem!!

Fun times for Coco Cake! I molded the shark body out of rice krispie squares, something I saw on a TV show or something so I wanted to try it to see if it worked. In the meantime I ate oh, 10 or so of those devilish rice krispie squares myself. I had to get Rich to hide them in a nondescript black bag somewhere in the house so I wouldn't decimate the rest of them.

But of course I found the bag and, well, I decimated them. Just like Jaws decimated his victims. I am the rice krispie eating Chinese JAWS...

16 comments:

gyoza*girl said...

scarily AWESOME!

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

This is much much too great Lyndsay!

Coco Cake Land said...

thanks sis!!

thanks sam!! :)

Tanya said...

Very cool!

SweetThingsTO said...

That is truly awesome! You are very creative and talented and FUN!

Jen S said...

LOVE this cake- way to go!

BT said...

You keep getting better and better. I like the new macabre side of you lately (though am a bit worried for rt)

Coco Cake Land said...

tanya, juanita, jenW, BT-- thanks!!!

aimerz said...

This is awesome!

Jessica said...

The blood on the shark's teeth is a nice touch.

Coco Cake Land said...

thanks aimerz and jessica!
:)

Al in Vancouver said...

I love the arm especially!

Coco Cake Land said...

the arm had been doing too many push-ups... heh...!

Britt said...

Really wonderful! So glad I discovered your amazing blog! I am amazed.

Coco Cake Land said...

Hey thanks Brit!! :)

Unknown said...

My boyfriend has asked me to make him a Jaws cake for his birthday next month and a google search brought up your cake as the best looking one. My challenge now is to try and create something similar!