Friday, September 27, 2013

Cotton Candy Cake

Does anyone else love thin as air, wisps of nothing spun sugar cotton candy? Pale pink sugar threads fluffing and puffing up like a beehive wig, melting into your tongue like magic.

We took Teddy to our city's annual fair this past summer and I felt inspired by the cotton candy sticks in pale bubblegum pink and light turquoise.

My plan was to make cotton candy topped cake - but I didn't realize that cotton candy deflates like a tired balloon. I had purchased a take home bag of pink and blue cotton candy to bring home for my cake project, but when I went to get it from my cake cupboard, it had hardened down to flat dehydrated blocks! Rats - I had missed my chance!

Still, I felt inspired by those beautiful colours and made this adorable pastel cotton candy coloured cake instead.


1. Using your favourite vanilla cake mix, divide batter into two medium bowls. I love Rosie at Sweetapolita's fantastic recipes for both cake and buttercream.

2. Use a tiny dab of pink gel colour for the cotton candy pink and a tiny dab of sky blue colour for the cotton candy blue. Mix batter gently until coloured.

3. Pour batter into four greased and parchment paper lined cake pans - I used 7 inch round cake pans.

4. Bake according to recipe's instructions.

5. Let cool, then frost with your favourite vanilla buttercream. I used a basketweave tip to create the fine-line ribbon look. Top with a fresh single raspberry. So cute!

Come on, take a bite! Who could resist such cute pastel cake layers?

PS - you can also find me elsewhere here: 

Craftsy! Check out my post on drool-worthy simple and pretty cakes by some of my favourite cake designers.

Handmade Charlotte! So stoked to be a new contributor to one of my favourite children's design blogs. So many beautiful ideas, delivered daily! Please visit my Fluffy Lamb Cake DIY I made for them! xo

Have an awesome weekend, cake pals! 

 xo Lyndsay

Cake, photos and styling by Lyndsay Sung // Coco Cake Land


danielle said...

Found you through #altforeveryone. Your blog and cakes are scrumptiously wonderful!

Coco Cake Land said...

hi danielle! thank you so much, great to "meet" you! ^__^

Neide MC said...

Hi Lindsay, the cake it was very delicate.

Kiss end have a nice weekend!

Coco Cake Land said...

@neide - thank you so much! ^__^

Easy Desserts said...

Halo Lindsay, i love your blog. your cake look nicely..if you interisting about dessert, please visit my blog..

Coco Cake Land said...

@easy desserts - thank you! ^__^ i will check it out!

rahel said...


thimble said...

that is perhaps the most delicious looking and pretty cake I have ever seen! so so cute!!!

Marj Jenkins said...

I love this - both the cake and the crepe paper banner! Using the basketweave tip in an original way created a great texture!

Coco Cake Land said...

@rahel - thank you so much!

@thimble - ahhh thank you, you're sweet!

@marj - thanks marj!! i liked the texture it created, too! thanks for stopping by! :)

Lisa said...

That looks so good! I love the frosting pattern. Perfect.

Coco Cake Land said...

@ lisa , thanks so much! :)

Mara Dawn said...

I love the colors in this cake. Also, congrats on Handmade Charlotte!

Coco Cake Land said...

@mara - thanks so much! ^__^