Thursday, March 6, 2014

Coffee Icing Glazed Vanilla Nutmeg Donuts


I finally found a sweet recipe for baked donuts that remind me of non baked donuts! The last few recipes I've tried were more on the cakey side - ie, they taste kind of like cake batter baked into a donut shape - but these guys really had that dense nutmeg heavier vibe going on - then, dripping with a thick layer of coffee icing glaze, well they're frigging delicious.

I wanted to mix it up with glaze flavours and looked through my extract collection - this Nielsen Massey coffee extract stared me in the face. The taste of the glaze reminded me of the wonderful lazy daisy vanilla cake my grandma would make for me, dripping in glaze made from instant coffee and icing sugar. I honestly was scraping dried glaze off the plate and eating it. Oh, and eating it by the spoonful. I think I like coffee flavoured things, maybe? Haha!

Coffee Icing Glazed Vanilla Nutmeg Cake Donuts 
(recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour)
Yields 1 dozen donuts

Ingredients

For the donuts: 
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/3 cup golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 2/3s cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk

For the glaze:
1 cup of icing sugar
1 teaspoon coffee extract
5 teaspoons whole milk
Sprinkles (optional)

Make it!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil your donut baking pans.

1. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, oil and sugars until smooth and creamy.
2. Add the eggs, mixing to combine.
3. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla extract.
4. Add the flour into the wet mixture, alternating with the milk until combined. Do not overmix.
5. Fill your donut pans 3/4 full with the donut batter.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not overbake!
7. Remove donuts from pans and let cool on wire racks.
8. Meanwhile, make the glaze: whisk together icing sugar, coffee extract and milk until smooth.
9. Once donuts are cool, dunk the donuts into the glaze. Add sprinkles if so desired!

I seriously donut lie when I say this recipe is a goodie.
What's your favourite baked donut recipe? Would love to know!

xo Lyndsay

8 comments:

kickpleat said...

Yum! Looks so good Lyndsay. Did you find that extract in Vancouver? I might go peek in at the Gourmet Warehouse.

Coco Cake Land said...

thanks jeannette! you can totally get the extract at gourmet warehouse! that is where i got mine!! ^__^ such a good glaze for coffee cakes and bundt cakes, too! or even cookies... haha i love it!

Neha said...

Oh my goodness, these look delish!

thimble said...

oh yum! these look divine!

Anonymous said...

Hello, sweet coco cake :)
Where can ii see all of your wonderfull creations ?
I'm not get enough to look,
So... You have an archive or list or....
Link for me ! :) please !
Thank you!
Some insipiration that you are !
With admiration ... your Daniela .

This Ole Broad said...

In the directions, you say to put in Baking Powder, but that ingredient is not in the list of ingredients. How much do we need to use?

Coco Cake Land said...

@daniela - thank you so much!

@suspiria - sure!

@this old broad - thank you SO much for catching that! i just updated it.

Unknown said...

So have you tried coconut oil instead of vegetable? I love baking with it :) also I live in Salt Lake City so a pretty high altitude.. I've never done baked donuts.. any suggestions?