Saturday, January 31, 2009

Coco Cake... More Than Meets The Eye













Try it in your best robot voice:
"Transformers...
More than meets the eye!
Transformers...
Robots in Disguise!"

I was born in the 1970s, and, being a tomboy growing up, of course I was majorly into Transformers. Optimus Prime! But how Transformers-y could Coco Cake get? Coco Cake, the land of vintage-look and design-y cupcakes? I normally don't do mainstream cartoony-look cupcakes-- there's lots of other bakers who are wonderful at this-- I prefer doing vintage-look lions, teddy bears, and other older "vintage" styles of decorating when it comes to kids' birthdays. But perhaps it's the soft spot I have in my heart, memories of ripping around Optimus Prime on the brown carpet in the basement crashing into Peaches N Cream Barbie, that allowed me to do this wonderful birthday party!

I made Coco Chocolate Vanilla in two colors, red and blue for Transformers color theme, and I made 6 Transformers cupcake picks. I also put two vintage car cupcake toppers on them--- ok, the cupcake car toppers weren't the latest technological gadget-heavy next-season Lamborghini Countaches like they have in the recent movie version (no idea if they still make Countaches?) but a cool old school Datson and a muscle car! Awesome...

ALSO: Simply Read Books presents: Penguin And The Cupcake book launch/reading! I need to get some decorating gloves, as every time I work in fondant my hands get sooo stained from working with the inks. Aiyahhhh. I made: a funny little black penguin atop a pink cupcake (just like the book!) , and 8 dozen Coco Cake Vanilla minis in beautiful light colors of pink, baby blue and white. I made a custom stand using vintage gingham-patterned blue wallpaper and pink satin ribbon!

It's been a busy couple of days... now I get to treat myself by going to a fondue party, and tomorrow, a matinee!! (Why do I want to see the new Kate and Leo movie so bad??)

Your friend,
LKS


5 comments:

gyoza*girl said...

omg! today's cupcakes are definitely *more than meets the eye*! love how you transformed your vintage designy style into a child's birthday. :) and ooh, the cute pengy atop the cupcakes. so wish we could've gone for the book launch today. oh well! 'tis the life of one with a baby.

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, how cute are these? I love how you decorated everything! Too cute!

Snooky doodle said...

wow those cupcakes look so nice. I don't like transformers though. prefer the penguin :) I love the pink ones :)

Coco Cake Land said...

gyoza--wah, wish i could've seen you and BB too.
FL & natalie:
thanks... !

Cakebrain said...

Oh! I think the penguin is so cute! Yummy looking cupcakes!